Based on a BBC Good Food recipe
Takes about 45 mins
- Olive oil
- 1 aubergine, cut into chunks
- 150g mushrooms cut into large chunks (leave whole if small button)
- 1 red pepper, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1x 175g pack grilled artichoke hearts
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 200g arborio rice
- 750ml veg stock
- 1x 400g tin pulses of choice, drained (chickpeas and red kidney beans both work well)
- Lemon juice (opt)
1. Place the aubergine, mushrooms and pepper on a baking tray, mist with oil and cook for 20 mins at about 180C.
2. Meanwhile, sauté the onion and garlic until softened, stir in the spices and rice, and cook for 2 mins.
3. Add half the stock; simmer, uncovered, for 20 mins (stir every so often).
4. Add the other half of the stock, the veg (including artichokes) and pulses, and simmer (uncovered) for another 20 mins – stir every so often and you might need to add a little water to stop it sticking.
5. Add a little lemon juice to taste, and serve.
(Is also v nice cold for lunch the next day!)