I’m resurrecting my blog during lockdown and I want to use it for positive things that might help people.
Lots of people are worried right now, and sometimes it’s hard to get out of a fear spiral. The exercises below (researched by me with my Medical Romance author hat on, some time back!) might help.
Start by ‘square breathing’ to help steady you (breathe in for 3 seconds, hold for 3, breathe out for 3, hold for 3).
Then you do the 54321 sequence below – what it does is use all your senses to ground you in the present and stop your thoughts spiralling.
5. Name five things you can see around you (eg table, dog).
4. Name four things you can touch around you (eg pen, chair).
3. Name three things you can hear (eg clock ticking, birdsong)
2. Name two things you can smell (eg coffee).
1. Name one thing you can taste (eg coffee, a biscuit)
Big hugs to all of you. We’ll get through this.